Thursday, October 1, 2009

Deciding My Future Career

What do you think is the role of research topic in deciding your future career? (1500 words)

When I first read this question… honestly, I had to really think of what would be the best answer to this question. Is there really a role that this research topic plays in deciding my future career? If yes… what would it be? Well, I would not limit my answer on just the research topic but to research itself.

We all know that research has played an important role on the survival of humanity in this planet. Continuous researches have led mankind to this era of digital world where technology acquisition has been a part of the daily living of the humans. Almost everything around us is the product of research development (though some are discoveries from mere accidents). Right now, while writing this assignment I am eating PEEWEE, and come to think of it, this food is a product of research also, if not for that somebody who had discovered the ingredient in making this food I would never have the chance to eat such a very delicious chow (hehehe.. Commercial!). Going back… I am still thinking what is the role of research in deciding my future career, think… think… think… well; I think honestly, the research proposal itself that I am doing right now if to be successfully implemented will be a big factor in helping me step into the right path where I should have to walk through. Imagine how my or rather be said our approved proposal would contribute to computing science if made possible.

Uhmm.. I would like to discuss something what our proposal is all about entitled “utilizing screen locks to minimize electricity consumption” … this is a statement from Jade Mijares “The general objective of the study is to help minimize electric bills/ electricity usage inside the household. Specifically, the study is centered in controlling Personal Computer usage by means of limiting the time the said computer could be used through the means of a software program. The expected output of the research will be a working program that would put in effect what the researchers want to achieve. The research involves finding out how much a Personal Computer affects electricity consumption in a household setting and using this to create the said program. Furthermore, the screen lock would function like a prepaid system. Let’s say that the program is set to make the computer functional for 10 hours and the reset time is set at 8:00 AM. If a person uses the computer for 10 hours, at the end of the 10th hour, the computer will inform the user that he has consumed all available hours and will shut down. The screen then will be locked to prevent further access. At 8:00 am the next day the computer will reset its "prepaid" time again to 10 hours and the computer will again be usable. If a user just uses 6 hours of the previous time come 8:00 am of the next day the time would still be reset to 10 hours.”

The research topic where we are currently doing determines the way we see the need of the world to have this, with this screen locks household electric bills will surely drop off. But then, I am honestly thankful that Sir RSG did not require us to implement the proposal, because if that’s the case, my future would still be in this university… (hehehe). Well, it would be a challenge for me and to my co-proponents to really implement this research proposal.
Now, since we are not anymore required to do a full blown research and that of course our proposals will not to be implemented, how will then this subject or research help me mold my future career? Before, I saw my classmates undertaking this subject having hard time accomplishing all the said requirements to really finish the research paper… I ask myself… will I be able to have the patience and dedication to do all of those stuffs? Like, interview different personalities, read lots of references, write that nose bleeding introduction, RRL, methodology and others? I came to realize, that’s it! That’s how research will help me decide my future career. Before, I have read some tips from the web on how to choose a good topic, which I somehow applied and has been so very useful in coming up with a good research proposal.

I would like to share those steps: first, it said that I should have to Brainstorm possible topic ideas; it would include Considering my personal interests, engaging in conversations in class or with classmates, reading articles in encyclopedias or dictionaries and review class readings, browsing recent issues of journals or magazines in current periodicals, browsing the shelves for books on the related subject. Second, Review assignment requirements in this area I must have to answer the following questions; how much information do I need? Does it need to be recent information? What types of publications do I want to read - newspaper articles, books, journal articles, diaries, trade publications? How much time do I have? Third, List keyword to define my topic and lastly gather background information on the topic. The mentioned tips were very useful to me, not just in developing or formulating my research topic but also enhancing my attitude and personality in a way that my enthusiasm and dedication was developed. Through this I was able to work harder and think harder which I think a very important factor towards having a brighter future.

So as to say, it is not on how beautiful my research topic is but it is on how dedicated I am and on how I love the topic I chose to work on. Attitude towards work matters a lot!

1 comments:

be wise and shine said...

erm, hi there!here's amelia. now i've an assignment with a title of ' what affect student on making decision on their future career. i just read your artical and i think that our research is quite similar. my teacher ask me to find a previous research on it from uni student, and i tried to find it on google but found nothing. erm.is it ok for me to know more about your research result pls?

Post a Comment

 

©2009 Design Analysis | by TNB